The collection kit is provided by:
isothermal plastic case * in watertight plastic resin, pressurization pressure seal, internally lined with polyurethane foam, containing:
- sterile 2-needle bag for cord blood collection
- 2 disinfectants and 2 tablets of sterile gauze
- watertight isothermal casing to protect the blood bag
- documentation to be followed by the health department to obtain clearance
* resistance characteristics
- to bumps and perforations (must be rigid)
- thermal excursions (must be insulated)
- to the contaminations (the double hermetic container is foreseen)
- to variations in environmental pressure (it is equipped with a pressure valve)
- flooding (must be watertight)
1) apply the adhesive label on the bag after checking that it fully completed
2) insert the blood bag collected in the silver colored bag
3) place the silver colored bag inside the isothermal container
4) place into the isothermal container the results of the infectious disease tests carried out
5) fill in, sign and place both the “Contract” and the “Information for the processing of personal data” in the isothermal container, if not yet shipped
6) place a copy of the EXPORT AUTHORIZATION into the isothermal container and close it with the lid
7) apply the transparent adhesive bag on the side of the isothermal container the sachet transparent adhesive, containing the waybill
8) insert into the transparent bag, together with the waybill, another copy of the AUTHORIZATION export and form A duly completed
9) ensure the closure of the kit with the appropriate "warranty seal"
The shipment of cord blood to the Republic of San Marino (geographically integrated into the Italian territory) is constantly monitored according to a dedicated and specially designed logistics, does not require customs controls and allows an exceptional management of any problems related to holidays, strikes or situations adverse weather conditions.
The transport takes place on the "road" and, if necessary, a dedicated courier is activated which, without additional costs for the parents, guarantees the delivery of biological material to the institute within the time limits established by the Ministry of Health ("Guidelines for accreditation of umbilical cord blood banks "), irrespective of any adverse event. Once in the laboratory, the blood sample is analyzed and the cells are frozen. On request, the cell sample can be divided and cryopreserved into two separate units (bags).
Immediately after delivery, the umbilical cord is cut and, in the portion still connected to the placenta, the needle of the collection bag is inserted. The cord blood runs by gravity inside the bag which, once filled, is inserted into the isothermal container and then into the waterproof case for transport. The procedure to collect the Kit at the birth point is activated by contacting Bioscience Institute directly.
Bioscience Institute deals with administrative, logistic and health aspects, assisting its clients in the procedures necessary to obtain the authorization to export cord stem cells and to collect the blood sample at the facility where the birth takes place.