Aging is a natural process stemming from both extrinsic and intrinsic factors. Lifestyle adjustments can at least in part diminish the impact of extrinsic factors; for example, everyone can reduce exposure to skin-damaging UV rays. On the contrary, intrinsic factors are genetically determined and account for physiologic aging; they reflect the balance between bodily structure damage and the organism’s regenerative capacity. That is why Adipose-Derived Stem Cells (ADSCs) can help counteract them. Let’s discover when, why and how to exploit their properties with AGESKILL, Bioscience Institute‘s Anti-Aging intravenous (iV) therapy.
The aging process: signs and symptoms
As time goes by, most organs, tissues, and cells undergo an aging process that makes them work less efficiently. The signs and symptoms of this phenomenon can become evident starting from the age of 40:
- fine lines or wrinkles appear on the skin, which can become thinner, transparent, less elastic, and loose;
- hair can thin and become gray;
- nail plates become thinner too;
- facial fat is lost, leaving hollowed cheeks and eye sockets;
- perspiration can be severely reduced.
At more advanced ages, health issues can become more serious:
- sight disturbances (in particular, presbyopia associated with less flexible eye’s lenses) can force the use of reading glasses;
- it can become harder to hear all the sound frequencies;
- sleep can be reduced or less deep;
- bone density and strength can be reduced too, leaving bones more prone to break;
- it is common for memory to decline;
- the heart, lungs, and kidneys become less efficient;
- muscle mass can reduce and body fat can increase;
- in men, sexual disfunction is common, whereas women can undergo menopausal symptoms;
- the compression of joints, spinal bones, and spinal disks can induce visible changes in posture.
Overall, advanced age can be the greatest risk factor for several diseases commonly linked to aging, such as cancer, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. Nonetheless, advanced age is not a sentence to poor quality of life. In fact, the process of aging can be decelerated, and stem cell-based treatments represent a powerful tool to hit this target.
Stem cells in aging
At younger ages, adult stem cells allow for replenishing organs and tissues of the cells that are lost. In fact, these cells can replace lost cells by differentiating into specific cell types. The loss of this stem cell-based regenerative ability is one of the principal causes of aging and age-related issues. For example, reduced hematopoietic stem cell activity can lead to an altered adaptive immune response and increased anemia risk. That is why experts started trying stem cell-based treatments to counteract aging and its consequences.
Among other stem cells, ADSCs are already successfully employed in regenerative and esthetic medicine. They are multipotent stem cells capable of differentiating, among others, into adipose, bone, cartilage, muscle, heart, teeth, liver, and, according to some studies, skin and nerve cells. They promote angiogenesis, exert anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic activities, while not exhibiting immunosuppressive properties. Given these properties, for example, they are locally injected to reduce wrinkles and fine lines, providing significant results. What is more, several preclinical studies point to ADSCs iV treatment as a powerful tool against aging.
The therapeutic benefits of ADSCs iV treatment may derive from secreted molecules, in particular growth factors and cytokines (small inflammation-related proteins). Autologous stem cells, presenting with no risk of rejection, are obtained from the patient’s own fat by liposuction in a simple and painless outpatient procedure, hitting a double goal: sampling tissue for ADSC isolation, and “critical point” shaping (for example, abdomen).
For more information about ADSCs iV treatment (*), please visit Bioscience Institute’s Anti-Aging iV therapy (AGESKILL) webpage. Also, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; our biologists will answer your questions with no commitment on your part.
(*) Important notice: Anti-Aging iV therapy is performed only at our Dubai Clinic